Friday, July 1, 2011

6/28/11 Trek to Semuc Champey

Sometimes you just have to pinch yourself and say this is really happening. The trip from Antigua to Champey was quite the adventure. The van ride lasted nine hours. The last three were spent on dirt roads going through the mountains. It was quite the picturesque scene. The hostel that I stayed in was amazing.

I must admit I was a little nervous about being myself for a couple days at Champey. I just worried that I wouldn't get to enjoy it as much being on my own. However, those fears were quickly put to rest. Our hostel was in the middle of nowhere. At the nearest town we dropped off the other riders in our van. I was a little disappointed because I had met some friends on the van ride. I jumped on another van and headed towards my hostel. On the way we picked up two girls, who would end up being my roommates.

I am so thankful to have met Amanda and Janie. They made my experience so much more enjoyable and I feel confident I have met two friends for life. We got in around dinner time that night. The night consisted of getting settled in, eating dinner, socializing and salsa dancing. Yes! Salsa dancing. Thankfully I had a good instructor in Amanda who was patient with me for lord knows I need a lot of help in the dancing department. Thus far I have met many interesting people!


                                             View from outside the hostel

                                               
                                  Lodge where I busted out my moves, or so I think




                                                Our digs



                                                   View of the way there

3 comments:

  1. Yay!!! I was waiting for my blog post!!! I am soooooo happy that you are having such a fantastic time!!! Love the pictures and entries. Keep them coming. Sending lots of love your way!!! Love, Jess and Sadie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim
    I am reading with much interest of your travels. I think it is just wonderful that you not only have the opportunity to travel as you do, but also the desire. The connector between thoughts is Action......you are my hero
    UEd

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, glad to see that you are back to posting. I missed your posts the last few days and have been watching for new updates. It seems the trip has changed to a more relaxed pace. Its been one great adventure after another. Enjoy the last few days. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete