Sunday, July 3, 2011

Did I really just do that?

Well if Sempay was one of my most favorite days then yesterday ranks as the most physically demanding day ever. All I can say is it seems like a dream.

So we left our hotel at 11:00 at night to make the two and an hour trek to Volcano Tajamulco the highest point in Central America. We decided to try this approach rather than camping at night and finishing the hike in the morning. Part of reason was spending the night in the rain and being cold. So we began our trek at 2:30 in the morning. Little did I know what I was getting myself into. I think we spent the first hour sleepwalking up the mountain. I was at a major disadvantage for I had no light. At first the hike was relatively easy, hiking up the road. However it changed very rapidly and my initial belief that I would have no problem turned to worry. The hike was extremely strenuous due to the fact that the trials were narrow and slippy. Add to this that it was pitch dark and boy was I in store for a grueling trek. We hired a guide who assisted us with navigation. About two hours into the hike I began to worry about being able to complete the hike.

If there is one thing I give myself credit for it is perseverance. When I set my mind to something I complete it. So although I worried about finishing I knew there was no way that I wasnt going to finish. The hike was straight up hill and full of challenges. I just kept telling myself you have to finish. Just take one step at a time and you will do this. The altitude began to make me feel light headed which only compounded my difficulty. In addition the last hour and a half was spent climbing rocks. I love climbing rocks and enjoyed this part of the trek even though it was the most difficult being I was exhausted. In all we climbed about 3,600 feet for four hours till we reached the top. At the top we were sitting at 12,500 feet looking out across Central America. We really lucked out on the weather and got to the top just before the clouds rolled in. Seeing the sunset was absolutely amazing. I can not even begin to tell you the sense of accomplishment I felt in having climbed this mountain. This was much more difficult than our climbing adventure in Ecuador several years back. I am most proud of the fact that I was mentally tough and fought through the fatigue and doubt. I DID IT!

That would be me half asleep at around 5:30 a.m


                                                          Sun is on its way!


                                     We really lucked out on the weather, it began to rain on our way down


Hang in there you are almost there


Ahh the taste of success. Too bad the clouds rolled in while I was recovering 
                                                   Now that we could actually see on our way down here are some         pictures                                 of what we missed on the way up.

The vegetation was beautiful



                                           That peak up there is where we had climbed. This picture was taken on our way down around halfway.

                                                 That would be a crazy looking mushroom

                                                   I guess our guide is not an expert in photography

4 comments:

  1. Truly amazing.4th here. Teaching Sadie about freedom and going to decorate her bike. Fireworks tonight.Bucs won.3only
    1.5 games back

    ReplyDelete
  2. Give that sweetie a big hug and kiss for me and tell her I am thinking of her. Have a great time! I am so glad you are in Madison.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Timmy! You look like you're on top of the world, both literally and figuratively. Happy Independence Day!
    -Gall

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woke up anxious to read your post.we spent day at a beautiful lake.pirates won again. Great fireworks. Love Dad

    ReplyDelete