Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Isla de Mujeres

After a 20 hour bus ride we have arrived in the beautiful Yucatan. Wow, I have put in some time on the transportation systems around Central America. I was really worried about not falling asleep on this bus ride thankfully I did otherwise it would have been even more grueling. Thankfully the ride was not as bad as I had thought it was going to be. We ended up paying to ride a nicer bus with reclining chairs, a bathroom and a tv.

We did see something fascinating. There was a checkpoint where a local village set out metal with spikes along the road. The villagers demanded a tribute or fee be paid to move along the road. Basically you had no choice it was either give them some money or get a flat tire and be beat up. Our bus driver paid the fee and along we went. Also we have had to go through various checkpoints as far as police are concerned. They just hop on the bus look around and then leave.What is this the days of Robin Hood. Such is the state in Mexico. Everything has been good thus far, knock on wood.

We got in to Cancun around noon. We then had to take a 20 minute boat ride to Isla de Mujeres. It is very touristy but to be honest I need a couple of beach days to chill out. I have certainly traveled a great deal and experienced a great deal so I am looking forward to some chillaxing. We got settled in at our hostel which get this cost eleven dollars a night. It is not a dump either I assure you of that. We are a five minute walk from the beach so that is nice. We had a nice lunch which was desperately needed since we had not had a solid meal in over 24 hours. It was then time to walk around the town and set up tomorrows adventure. Snorkeling with sea turtles and whale sharks. I am pretty pumped. After setting up our tour we of course hit the beach. Wow! I cant tell you how relaxed I feel right now. LIFE IS GOOD!

                                              Welcome to Cancun, off to Isla de Mujeres.
                                             Awww, I love the clear blue water of the Caribbean. Helps with my phobia of jelly fish.
                                                 Alright time to jump in!

2 comments:

  1. Looks and sounds AMAZING!!! Enjoy. Sending lots of love your way!!! Jess and Sadie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isla Mujeres esta bien padre! I streaked off of one of their piers 2 years ago! Me encanta la isla! Have fun! Rent a moped and drive around the island... our hostel there was very good/clean... also check out the restaurant "MaƱana" they have really good vegetarian options- and it's also recommended in the Lonely Planet guide books.... Have fun! Doug

    ReplyDelete