Sunday, July 10, 2011

Snorkeling with Whale Sharks at Isla de Mujeres

                                                     Our chill guide, he has been on the island for 28 years
                                                     In my best Steve Irwin voice And what you see there is a large whale shark, lets see how close we can get it to it mates.
                                            Alright seriously I swam right by it. Thankfully it wasn't a Great White. Did I tell you I am scared of sharks. Had to be because of watching Jaws as a kid.
                                              Isla was a nice break from our travels.
It's been awhile since I could post so let me try to get caught up. On our second day on the Island I went snorkeling all day. I had a great time once again meeting new people. This time it was three girls from Australia. We went with this really cool older Mexican dude. He was super chill and did everything to make the day enjoyable. At this time of year the whale sharks migrate through the area.So we felt pretty confident we would get to see them. Thankfully we did. It was a little odd though because everyone was centered around this one area with boats all over the place. That made the experience a little less enjoyable but hey I still can say I swam with whale sharks. And let me tell you they are massive mammals. I was blown away by how large and imposing they really are when you get in the water. We also were able to see giant turtles as well.

I really enjoyed hanging on the boat and just soaking up the warm weather. Thankfully I did a good job of keeping my pale body out of the sun for the most part. After we were finished with the whale shark experience we went back to the coral reefs and got to snorkel for around an hour. Wow was that amazing. I bought a underwater camera and I am curious to see how the pictures turned out. After a wonderful day snorkeling I  joined the girls for dinner and enjoyed hearing about what it is like to be an Aussie and to hear their travel stories. Once again it has been great to meet so many different people.

1 comment:

  1. Truly amazing photos. What an adventure.your Bucs are 1 game out of first place. Yes I am serious. Heading to Maine. Take care- Dad

    ReplyDelete