Monday, July 11, 2011

Tikal

Well, I decided to separate from the girls for the last few days of my trip. They were headed down the coast and I felt like I needed to see Tikal. I knew if I did not go I would regret it so I went and I am sure glad I did. I arrived in Flores yesterday around dinner time. It feels good to be back in Guatemala. I feel like I have enjoyed my Guatemala trip the most. Tonight I finish the last of my long journeys when I travel overnight back to Antigua. Thank God! I need a couple of days of sleep when I get back home. Anybody have a guess how long I have spent on buses or vans?

So I got up at four this morning to go on my tour. I decided to go with the tour, hopefull I would accomplish one of my goals, learning more about the Mayan culture. I decided to head on the early tour because I was told that would give me a greater chance of seeing monkeys and other wildlife through the jungle on the way to the ruins. The hike was a lot of fun through the jungle. It is not a primary forest, third growth in fact. Still some big trees though.

I feel like I learned a lot from our guide. He knew his stuff or at least a good deal. I apologized in advance for asking so many questions. I met a nice guy Frederik from Denmark, thankfully he shared the same interest in Mayan history. We had a great time bantering back and forth all day. I feel like I have come full circle on this trip for I saw the two guys I met from Israel when hiking Picaya two weeks back. We had a nice time reconnecting and catching up.

Alright as for Tikal. People began settling in the area around 1500 BC. Most of the building took place around 800 AD. The limestone which were used to build the pyramids were found in several quarries surrounding the site. It would take one full day while cutting one single block. The block was cute using flint stone. The best guess as to why people left the area is due to overuse of the soil. Simply they were unable to feed the population, famine. At one time it is estimated that at one point 150,000 people lived in the area. The site was rediscovered in the mid 1800´s. Unfortunately many artifacts were taken or stolen. However archaeologists from the University of Pennyslvania came in and dug up the site. Many are artifacts are found at the school. Tikal is a protected UNESCO site. It is estimated that only around 25% of the site has been discovered. Which is crazy for the site is huge. Okay enough with that. It is pretty amazing climbing pyramids and looking out over the jungle. It is also pretty crazy to think of all the work that was involved in creating Tikal which held important religious importance. The palaces where the kings and nobility must have been spectacular.

I am so thankful and happy I made it here. It was well worth all of the travel. A truly incredible sight coming out of the jungle and stumbling upon imposing pyramids that rise into the sky. I picture and daydream about daily life as I trudge around the site. What type of life did the average person have? If kings were believed to be divine how good did they live? Who were sacrificed to appease the Gods, different belifes abound here. Certainly different than the Aztecs, we heard they were not POW´S but maybe babies, virgins or the poor that volunteered their life. So many questions remain as far as the site. We may never know, however this only adds to the intrigue.

                                                          All of the hills were man made, tomb
                                                            Back of the pyramid, imposing itself in the jungle
                                                            Little Mayan artwork anyway
                                                   Alot harder to climb than it looks, very slippy. Someone fell of in October and was killed. So people are not allowed to climb all of the pyramids. There were at least six pyramids.

This is the view I am talking about. A great spot to sit and think about the meaning of life. Okay so I didn´t go that deep but nevertheless.
                                                 Pyramid in honor of King Chocolate. No joke, that is his nickname. I like Chocolate, especially Hersheys. FYI
                                            King Chocolates tomb was found underneath with guess what, you guessed it chocolate.



 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tim, Sounds great! I'm glad that you're back in Guatemala. It seems that you really liked Guatemala and I am happy that you are about to see more. Enjoy the rest of your days there.
    Love, M

    ReplyDelete